Student Needle Stick
The following policy pertains to all medical
students SUNYSB or visiting students.
It is the current policy that:
- All medical students are required to have
personal health insurance upon enrollment in the School of Medicine.
- All visiting students are verified as having
personal health insurance by the Dean's Office before rotating at any clinical
- Upon injury, students are directed to the
Emergency Department at any of our network clinical sites for prompt and
- Payment for services is billed to the students'
personal health insurance provider. Follow up for any incident is done
through the Occupational Medicine Department.
- Expenses related to the incident that are not
covered by the student's personal health insurance carrier, will be paid for
by the Dean's Office only after proof of nonpayment by the insurance carrier
- Student incidents do not qualify for workmen's
compensation as students are not employees, therefore, do not direct students
to employee health services
Return to Emergency Medicine Home Page